
MY (Almost) FULBRIGHT PROPOSAL ... from 3 yrs ago:
After having traveled to not only Europe, twice, but committed to service in Tijuana and El Salvador I understand how much is lost in translation and the need for breaking language barriers. I have studied French and some Italian and Spanish and am confident in the success of my Mongolian studies. I am continuing to make valuable connections with the Mongol community from the Venerable Karuna Dharma here in Los Angeles to the Venerable Chantal Carrerot of the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition (FPMT) in Ulaanbaatar and plan to have a year of Mongolian language completed by my arrival in Mongolia. When I arrive, thanks to Uyanga, the Cultural Assistant at the US Embassy in Ulaanbaatar, I will enroll in a six-week survival Mongolian course at the Bridge School in the capital city. In addition to that course and throughout my stay I will be checking in with a tutor at the National University of Mongolia (NUM). There I will take various courses in any combination of Mongolian culture, religion, and history. For further language practice as well as a better understanding of Mongol culture I will spend some time in the countryside touring with friends I will make in the community where I live in Ulaanbaatar. Beyond the classroom I plan to complete the Discovering Buddhism from Home program offered by the FPMT. The Venerable Chantal Carrerot or one of her collegues will be my advisor and mentor through this transformation. I will also check in with Munkhbaatar from the Gandan Tegchenling Monastery and the Center of Mongolian Buddhists. Under his eye I will observe and hopefully engage in Tibetan Buddhist rituals and meditation practices. Alongside this program I will be constructing my photography project, reflecting on my meditations on Buddhism. My images will represent my understanding of Buddhist concepts such as the three marks of existence: all is suffering, all is impermanent, and the self as an illusion. Ideas such as Nirvana cannot be understood through verbal or written dialogue due to its complexity. Only through the abstraction of art, in my case photography, can one begin to realize the truth behind Buddhism. My background in community service and my involvement the I------ Service Organization at (university) has taught me, through countless hours of volunteering and community service, that practical application of skills is an intricate part of the learning experience. Similar to my (youth) mentor program through the College of Fine Arts at (university), I will be involved with the ArtsCouncil of Mongolia’s Artsplus after school arts education program for young Mongolians. Through my involvement with this program I hope to gain insight for my future Art Therapy studies. I found these programs through the aid of SM and SS, two current Peace Corps volunteers in Mongolia as well as LF, a current Fulbrighter there. They have connected me to many valued people but if the Fulbright Program or Institute for International Education has contacts in mind they believe fit my project I welcome the suggestion. In Buddhism there are Four Noble Truths that one must understand before enlightenment can occur: life is suffering, the origin of this suffering is desire, when desire stops so will suffering, and there is a path to ending desire. This path is pure compassion or Karuna. It is fitting that the name of my first guide here in Los Angeles, the Venerable Karuna Dharma, means the truth of pure compassion. The compassion, simplicity, and peace I find in Buddhism, I find in photography as well. Combining my learned Buddhist meditation practices and my strengthened sense of art and culture, I will be a better resource for my future therapy patients. I will be able to communicate better how to achieve peace through not only artistic expression but through helping my patients understand the crucial element of compassion in everyday life. Upon my return to the United States, I will earn a Masters in Art Therapy and hope to go back to Mongolia again to further my research and understanding. Only through rich, intellectual and cultural exchanges like the Fulbright can humans truly take on the world and cultivate peace, internally and subsequently externally.One point Father F could not have emphasized more in his Buddhism class was the idea of Pratitya Samutpada: everything rises, persists, then ceases. In Mongolia however, despite rigorous prohibition and prosecution, Buddhism continues to persist in the culture and in the lives of the people. It is in Mongolia, a place Buddhism not only survives but thrives, where I want to cultivate my understanding of compassion and understand more fully how beautifully it fits into my path to being an Art Therapist. Throughout my time in Mongolia I will be studying Buddhism in the context of Mongol culture and compiling a photographic journal to creatively represent the basic principles of Buddhism. The images will complete a book which I will use as a tool for future art therapy patients as a guide to reflecting and understanding life and their place within it. As Dr. KH, my Zen instructor, would say, my photography will ultimately be a modern day Ox Herding Picture, creatively and abstractly capturing the Four Nobel Truths, the steps to enlightenment.
Problem or thesis:
When a human being does not know herself, she is in danger of destroying the very world she lives in. Art therapy can be a guide to understanding oneself, the world, and ones place within it. Through this process one learns wu-wei, a Buddhist concept that can be understood as working with the world instead of fighting against it constantly.
Your particular study/creative project:
I propose to create a photographic essay that reflects the process of going from unrest to understanding. This collection of photographs will be a resource, similar to a set of narrative meditations, which art therapy patients can use to guide themselves through this transformation.
Methodology:
My first step is to complete a six-week survival course in Mongolian at the Bridge School in Ulaanbaatar. Next I will enroll in courses in history, religion, and culture at the National University of Mongolia. In parallel I will study Buddhism under the guidance of monks at the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition and the Gandan Tegchenling Monastery. Throughout my stay I plan to assist with the Arts Council of Mongolia’s Artsplus after school art program will reinforce my studies through practical application.
Rationale for country/region:
Despite a history of prohibition and persecution, Buddhism survives in Mongolia. Of all the places in the world this remote, nomadic region maintains a strong faith in Buddhism which both impresses and attracts me. Here I am confident that my Buddhism studies will be thorough and passionately taught.
Institutional, in-country affiliation (university, agency, center where you will work):
In addition to taking courses in culture, history, and religion at the National University of Mongolia, I will be working closely in a Buddhism studies program at the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition and an after school youth art program offered by the Arts Council of Mongolia.
Anticipated outcomes (personal/professional/
The immediate outcome is the photographic resource I will provide for my future patients. After my time in Mongolia I will pursue a Masters in Art Therapy. Through my Fulbright experience I hope to gain insight as to the importance of art and culture in regard to mental health and form a stronger connection to and understanding of my photographic craft.
I had no idea you were into this realm. I try to be, but keep getting distracted. Now when I am back in LA we are definitely meeting up for at the very least a cuppa and chat and the very most a deep heartfelt tear-soaked bonding experience... it will be sock-rocking.
ReplyDelete