"The great aim of education is not knowledge but action" -Herbert Spencer

My photo
Once upon a time a Canadian Cowboy met a Californian Carebear and fell into a blissful love affair. Their love blossomed into a nurturing partnership fueled by their mutual dream of a sustainable future built on the compassionate understanding of interconnectedness between all persons, places, and things. Welcome to our rose-colored reality.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

This Could Be the Start of Something Big - frank sinatra

For three years I have been grinding my bones for what was, up to four days ago, the biggest dream I could dream: becoming a doctor. And four days ago, the universe granted me a genuine shot at making that dream reality. I landed my first (and currently only) medical school interview!! Oh Atlas, what a relief it was to lift the world off my shoulders...

As the rejections from jobs and grad schools began piling up in my chest I started feeling the watchful eyes of my parents burning into my back as I kept scaling one cliff after another, climbing as high as I could, to get to that highest peak where, perchance, I could get a glimpse of my destiny. To come home that day, and announce that someone somewhere had finally given me a chance was the biggest release of frustration, pressure, and anxiety unparalleled by all other feats thus far in my life. I cried. They were tears of joy, relief and exhaustion. I had been running on empty for such a long time but kept going, fueled on pure hope and determination... and finally... FINALLY... my stars aligned.

So here I am, prepping for my mock interview after work today with a career counselor, peering wide eyed into my future, the threshold of which is just a week away...

To Do:
prep for mock interview
figure out what to wear in 30 degree weather
piece together an interview ensemble on a zero dollar budget
plan transportation from my hotel to the university and back
get J's number for pick up at the airport
make a little thank you care package for J for hosting me
breathe focus breathe

No comments:

Post a Comment