Being a devoted NPR listener, the first thing I did when I arrived in cowtown was find the NPR station. Every city has to have NPR to stay informed right? said the arrogant city girl to the ignorant country bumpkin. Right. Well. About that. I did manage to find an NPR station, between the hours of 4pm and 7pm. In the early afternoon it's bible verses and homilies and in the evening it's a jarring union of smooth jazz and rock, country rock. But throughout the day on several radio stations there are these wellbeing announcements to help you stay good and healthy, and informed between the hours of 4pm and 7pm. First there was the series "Worst Place to Put Things," where I was advised not to put my purse in the shopping cart because I would contaminate all my produce. Then there was the water distribution bureau advising me to stay hydrated, but preferably with clear water because, and this was sung in a jingle, "Nat-ural isssss better!" Hmm, I thought, as I remembered the cute pink haired girl stopped next to me at the traffic light in Hollywood, the requirement to have at least six visible tattoos to work at Intelligencia off Abbot Kinney, and my fellow western european Snow-White-pale friend who hits the tanning beds before trips to Hawaii. All that seems very standard to me but out here I'm beginning to get a sense of how very not-standard most of L.A. actually is compared to the rest of the USA. For example, traffic doesn't much exist outside of L.A. though when they do mention a slower commute on the wires out here they also add, "So don't forget to bring your patience." Patience? When driving? Bitch please. I mean, oh heck!
Clearly I have much to learn.
No comments:
Post a Comment